Every year I have students, kindergarten through second grade, make crayons. Its a simple yet wonderful activity that children always look forward to. Here is what you will need to make crayons with your class:
* old crayons (don't mix brands since they do melt differently)
* teflon muffin tin. I use the mini size because you get 12 mini's in a tray. You can also use rubber muffin molds
* peel and break crayons into small sizes just big enough to fit into muffin tin.
* Use bright colors....I do not have students use black or brown
* Bake at 325 degrees for approximately 10 minutes. ( you need to watch since each oven is different)
* When crayon is all melted, remove and place in the freezer for 10 minutes.
* Crayons should pop out once you flip the tin over. Some may have to be pushed on from the bottom but they all come out easily.
Now, I wouldn't use this tin afterwards for anything else. I'm funny like that. Even after a good washing I would not use it for anything other than crayon making.